“You never lose, you either win or learn.”
That was the message from retiring NZ Black Ferns captain Fiao’o Fa’amausili, guest speaker at ACG Strathallan’s 2017 Sports Awards.
Fiao’o spoke to the audience about her passion for sport at school and the importance of family, describing how the Black Ferns’ families inspired them to go out in the second half of the World Cup final against England to win the cup.
The winners were:
- Sportsperson of the Year: Grace Schroder
- Junior Sportsperson of the Year: MacKenzie Sim
- All-Rounder of the Year: Daniel Tilsley
- Junior All-Rounder of the Year: Georgia Long
- Premier Sports Team of the Year: Equestrian Team
- Regional Sports Team of the Year: Girls First XI Football
Recipients of the service award – to recognise the contribution and dedication of volunteers to sport at ACG Strathallan – were:
- Dave Armstrong – Basketball
- Simon Benge – Basketball
- Michelle Engelbrecht – Netball
- Jo McNally – Football
- Marq Northcott – Netball
- Robert Tilsley – Rugby
- Paula Ross – Hockey
- Tony Parker – Badminton
- Shona Willis – Football
ACG Strathallan Principal Danny O’Connor said the Sports Awards had showcased the incredible achievements of the school’s athletes this year.
“Sports are such an important part of our school programme and I’m so pleased to see so many students involved,” he said. “Providing students with a wide range of sporting opportunities is a priority as it allows our young men and women to develop the all-important skills and qualities that come from being part of a team.”